I don't know how to post this recipe.
It started out with my daughter requesting for chocolate muffins for breakfast. The glutton in me screamed yeah! But the Mom in me frowned disapprovingly. So in order to meet in the middle, I adjusted my go-to muffin recipe and try making it healthier with whole wheat flour and oatmeals. They turned out GORGEOUS!
I posted it on the FaceBook and the members of the baking group loved how it looks. But when I took a bite, it turned out that it was a tad dry.
Don't get me wrong, it tasted DELICIOUS and I loved how the wholewheat flour and oatmeal added a little texture and flavour to it. But still, a little dry. I tried baking another batch with more buttermilk. It's softer, but it turned out like cupcakes, which defeats the point of a muffin. A muffin is SUPPOSED to be firmer than a cupcake FYI.
So. After much deliberation, I think I should just post the recipe as it is. I think people should be smart enough to adjust the recipe according to their own liking? Let me know how it goes!
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp instant oatmeal
1/3 cup vegetable oil (try 1/2 cup instead)
2/3 cup buttermilk (you can use milk with a tablespoon of white vinegar)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Sift all the dry ingredients except for the oatmeal. Add in the oatmeal to the sifted ingredients.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together.
- Gently FOLD the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until they are just incorporated. Do not overmix!
- Scoop muffin batter into lined muffin trays and fill it up to the brim to get a nice muffin top.
- Bake for about 20mins. You know it's done if you insert a skewer into the middle of the muffin and it comes out clean.