Monday 1 April 2013

Basic vanilla cupcake

I've stopped baking for several months as I was busy caring for my 2nd baby and struggling as I learn the ropes on being a stay home mother of two. I've really missed baking and all my baking stuff was starting to grow mould! So I took the opportunity of the coming Easter Friday to make some cupcakes for my girl to bring to school.

I baked a batch with my girl on Wednesday, but it turned out horrible! I blame the damn recipe as it told me to add baking powder with self raising flour. I knew something was off, but I placed my blind faith on the damn book and it all went south.

I was utterly disappointed that I failed the most simple vanilla cupcake, so on Sunday night I tried a different recipe and it turned out beautifully. This recipe is from Nigella.com and it couldn't be more simple. I used a food processor as I was too lazy to carry out my mixer. From start till end it took less than an hour. Great if you have a cupcake craving!

125g butter, softened
125g caster sugar
125g self raising flour
2 medium eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk

1. Put everything but the milk into the food processor or mixer and whizz it till its all mixed up.
2. Add the milk and blend till smooth.
3. Spoon about 1/2 full into cupcake cases and bake in a 200C oven for 15-20mins till the cakes are slightly gplden brown on top. Test with a wooden skewer. If it comes out clean, its done!
4. Leave it to cool completely before frosting.

It was delicious, unfortunately my frosting wasn't as successful cause I think I made too small a batch! But the kids loved the Cabury speckled chocolate eggs. Will do better next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...