Wednesday 3 April 2013

Gochujang Chicken Stew

A few weeks ago I bought a tub of gochujang (Korean chilli paste) to make one of our favorite dish, kimchi soup. But I didn't know what to do with the remaining chilli paste, so I Googled gochujang recipe and discovered this dish. Sounds simple enough, and I have most of the ingredients, so that was dinner tonight.
I substituted or opted out some ingredients that I didn't have, but the end result was still quite delicious. Hubby preferred it to be more spicy, so next time would add more chilli! Me, I thought it tasted delicious, hearty and perfect with a steaming bowl of rice.
1/2 Portion of Chicken, about 500g
Your choice of vegetables, I chose potatoes, carrots, wong bok cabbage and some leftover brown button mushrooms.
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 Tablespoon of Cooking Oil
1 Tablespoon of Sesame Oil
1 Spring Onion, finely chopped to garnish
Marinade:
1.5 Tablespoons chinese cooking wine
Salt and Pepper
Seasoning Sauce:
1/2 Tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Gochujang Chilli Paste
1. Marinate chicken pieces in wine and seasoning. Brown meat with a little oil.
2. Set chicken aside and using the same pot, stir fry all the vegetables and garlic.
3. Put chicken back in and add water or chicken stock till it covers about 2/3 of the meat and vegetables. Add seasoning sauce and stir well.
4. Boil for 15-20mins or until the sauce has reduced near half.
5. Add in sesame oil and garnish with spring onions before serving.
I love the sweet after taste of the gochujang chilli paste, but next time would add some fresh chilli to give it more kick! Anyway, definitely a keeper!
For the original recipe, see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...