Wanted to make some Valentine's Day cookies for Jolie to bring to school, but I wanted something more healthy, so I found this recipe online. Since I'm going to glaze the cookie with royal icing, I decided to cut the sugar by half. You can check out the original recipe here.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup roasted pumpkin puree (instructions here)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar; add pumpkin and vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, Baking Powder and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours, until firm. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a floured surface roll out dough to about a 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters and place cookies 1 inch apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes about 2 dozen cookies
For the frosting, I use royal icing using egg whites. (Recipe from Joyofbaking.com)
2 large (60 grams) egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups (330 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until combined.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth.