My father used to own a neighbourhood bakery when I was a teenager and one of the items that I really liked (I love everything in a bakery!) was these little fluffy cakes flavoured with cheese. It's sweet yet savoury and does not have any frosting. Yummy! Fast forward 18 years, I came across this website of Filipino cuisines and lo and behold, cheese cupcakes! Apparently this is a popular local delight, interesting! Just so happened to have all the ingredients needed in my fridge(it's fate!) so let's bake!
Makes 12-14 cupcakes
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated + more for topping
1 3/4 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 can condensed milk
120g butter, cut into small cubes and softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat together butter, sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs.
- Add the flour mixture and condensed milk alternatively to the creamed butter and egg mixture while beating in low speed, combine until smooth in texture.
- Fold the grated cheese into the batter.
- Scoop batter into paper-lined muffin cups to 3/4 full. Top with cheddar cheese and bake in a 180C pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Top should be golden and crispy.
It's not as light and cheesecake-like like my dad's cakes, but it's still super delicious! I love munching the crispy and cheesy top before sinking my teeth into the fluffy cake. So good..