Wednesday 22 April 2015

Dak-bokkeumtang Korean Spicy Braised Chicken


Gochujang paste is such a versatile condiment! I know that this paste is widely used in Korean cuisine. So once again, I look to the master of online korean cooking, Miss Maangchi. I want something hearty and spicy this time, so Dak-bokkeumtang is perfect. It reminds me of our Asian chicken curry actually. Chicken and potatoes braised in spicy gravy? Sign me up! I didn't have any chicken wings or drumlets, so I used whole chicken drumsticks instead and it is still delicious!

The measurements of the recipe is quite straight forward so I didn't stray far from it. But I wasn't cooking for a party like she was,(see original recipe) so I just halved the recipe. We don't eat green chilli at home, but she said it's a crucial flavour, so I actually bought a whole packet, used ONE, and the rest just rotted away in the fridge. :( But she's right. You CAN taste the green chilli in the stew so try not to skip that.

500g chicken
2 onions (chopped)
2 tablespoons soya sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons gochujang paste
2 tablespoons pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 cup water

potatoes
1 big green chilli (cut)
Spring onions (for garnish)


  1. Mix chicken, onions, seasoning and water together.
  2. Boil without a lid on high heat for 20mins. 
  3. Add potatoes and chilli and cook for another 20mins. This time with the lid on. 
  4. Remove lid and cook for another 3-5 mins to thicken the gravy. 
  5. Garnish with spring onions and serve!

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Stumbled upon your blog cos I wanted a herbal steam chicken recipe and then went on to read your other simple recipes for home cooked meals. Must say I really like them. A stay home mum too so appreciate quickie meals! So thanks for sharing. I intend to try your other recipes. Now, off to marinate my chicken for dinner tonight...

    ReplyDelete

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...