Saturday 12 December 2015

Danish Butter Cookies (Vaniljekranse)

Recently the famous Jenny Bakery from Hong Kong came to Singapore and suddenly everybody started going butter cookies crazy. I tried one of the "copycat" recipe online and found out that the famous butter cookies were actually the melt-in-your-mouth type. I don't like them. -_-

My ideal butter cookies comes in a famous blue tin. I don't even know how to pronouce the word! I only know it as Danish Butter Cookies. Choose from a few different designs in a little white cupcake case and pair it with a hot cup of coffee.. Ah.. the perfect tea time!

 photo 20151212_170821_zpsspzu8ere.jpg


So I went online to search for a good recipe and settled on the one by Nordicfoodliving.com. Afterall, who better than the Danish to learn Danish Butter Cookies from right? But I did tweak it abit. (see below recipe) Furthermore it's a Christmas dish, how appropriate, given that it's almost Christmas now.

One bite and I know that this is the one! Nice crunchy texture, sweet with a wonderful rich aroma of butter. And the recipe is so simple! Great for gifts on Chinese New Year!

I made a few designs with my piping gun. After they come out of the oven, I noticed that they do spread out a little bit. So I spread a little batter onto a bear cake mould (see my carrot cake bears) and popped it into the oven to see if it works. It works and I got bear shaped cookies! So cute! Just remember to keep it a thin layer for a crispy texture.

 photo 20151212_173952_zps8nlgdwyp.jpg

Ingredients
175g sugar
200g unsalted butter (softened)
1 egg
1 tbsp vanilla extract

250g plain flour
75g almond meal

Demerara sugar (optional - for sprinkling)

  1. Preheat oven at 200°C. 
  2. Using a paddle attachment, mix butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract. 
  3. Add flour and almond meal and mix until just incorporated.
  4. Pipe into desired shapes. If you want to use a piping bag, make sure you have strong hands and even stronger piping bags. Sprinkle Demerara sugar on top. (optional) 
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. (turn tray halfway through to have an even baking)
  6. Cool on wire rack before storing in air tight containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...