Tuesday 26 June 2012

Apple Cupcakes


Hoho... I'm on a roll! I've stopped baking for months. Ever since I was pregnant, I feel sick just thinking about preparing food. Now the joy of baking is back into my life! Oh joy! Anyway, I digress... I love making little cakes for my 3 year old Princess and her classmates, so I found this great recipe on food4tots for apple muffins.

The muffins turned out so light and fluffy that I would rather classify them as apple cupcakes. Also, I love how the author use these adorable little pink poka dot muffin cases. So sweet! I managed to hunt down the same ones from Phoon Huat, they are also slightly smaller than your average muffin cases, so it's perfect for little princess hands. I know, I'm sooo not original, but it really was the cutest design in the store.


Apple Cupcakes

Make: 18 – 24 small cupcakes

Ingredients:
100g unsalted butter
120g castor sugar
2 eggs
150g cake flour
50g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoons baking soda
120 ml milk
Pinch of salt

Apple filling:
2 large apples (about 300g each) – retain 100g as topping
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice


  1. Pre-heat oven to 220°c.
  2. Prepare apple filling: First, cut out one slice (about 100g with skin) to reserve as topping. Soak into salted water for a while to prevent discoloration and set aside. Peel, slice and core the rest into small and thin slices. Then add apple slices, sugar and lemon to a cooking pan. Using a wooden spatula, cook with medium high heat until the water is fully evaporated and the apple slices turn soft. Set aside to cool.
  3. Sieve cake flour, plain flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
  4. Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  5. Add in lightly beaten egg and beat until well mix. Then add in salt and mix again.
  6. Add in half of the milk and mix well. Sift in half of the flour mixture. Use a hand whisk to gently fold in the flour mixture. Continue with the remaining half of the milk and flour mixture until well combined. With a rubber spatula, scrape off any mixture that is sticking to the side and bottom of the bowl.
  7. Add in apple filling and stir until just incorporated.
  8. Spoon batter even into the muffin cups until 85% full.
  9. Take the reserved apples and cut into tiny strip. Sprinkle on top of the muffins.
  10. Bake in the oven at 200°c for 10 minutes and then reduce to 180°c for another 8-10 minutes or until the muffins have risen and turned golden brown. Insert a toothpick into the center to test. If it comes out clean, it means that the muffins are cooked.
  11. Transfer to a cooling rack. Best to serve warm.

I'm in love! I love the light and fluffy texture of the cake and the warm apples among the cake. I ate 4 pieces at one go! :P On the other hand, my little Princess wasn't that exactly that enthusiastic about them. I think she doesn't like the chunks of apples in the cake. Maybe next time I'll purée the apples before adding them into the batter. Besides that, thumbs up for Apple cupcakes!

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...