Wednesday 20 June 2012

Pumpkin Cupcakes


I've got some leftover pumpkin, so I searched the web for a recipe for pumpkin cakes. Unfortunately, majority of the recipes included adding spices I didn't like, such as nutmeg and cinnamon. It took me quite awhile before finding this perfect recipe by My Kitchen. You can check out the original recipe here.

She baked the cake using a 7" x 7" square pan, but my little girl likes cupcakes, so I made them into cupcakes instead. To cute-tify the cupcakes, I used cookie cutters to cut out cute slices of pumpkin to put on top of the cakes while they bake. Also, instead of pineapple-cane sugar, I sprinkled with regular brown sugar. I really like the little crunch of the sugar crystals as contrast to the soft and fluffy cakes. Oh, and I don't like lumps in my cake, so I opted out adding steamed pumpkin cubes into the cake.

Makes 2 dozen cupcakes
250g Unsalted Butter
180g Castor Sugar
3 Large Eggs
150g Steamed Pumpkin, mashed
300g Self-raising Flour
20g Corn Flour
60g Milk
Pinch of salt
Pumpkin slices, for topping (optional)
Regular brown sugar (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 175ºC. Line muffin tin with paper cups.

2. Cream butter together with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and cream until light and smooth or the colour turned pale.

3. Stir in mashed pumpkin and mix until well blended.

4. Sift together flours and salt, fold into the mixture alternate with milk. Mix until well combined then stir in diced pumpkin.

5. Scoop batter in to lined muffin tin, arrange pumpkin slices on the surface and sprinkle with brown sugar.

6. Bake for 20mins. Remove from muffin tins and cool on rack.

It's not really golden brown enough, but I like my cupcake nice and moist, so it was perfect. The cake was very light and fluffy, with a beautiful fragrance of pumpkin and eggs. My little princess loved it!

Definitely would make this again for my girl's little friends in school. Afterall, it's nutritious as it is delicious isn't it?

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...