Tuesday 27 January 2015

Orange Yogurt Cake

I saw members from my favourite Facebook group making yogurt cake and I was intrigued! Cake made from yogurt? The fact that it's healthier is secondary. More importantly was how they rave about how delicious and light it tasted and I knew that one day I had to try it. So yesterday at the supermarket, inspiration hit me and I bought a tub of yogurt home.

I looked for a simple recipe online and found this. It's like a muffin recipe. Dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in the other, fold them together and bake. Simple! Don't even need to bring out the mixer. Just a whisk from the drawer! BEST...

The cake looks like a rich butter cake but it actually taste lighter. It does have a light tangy flavour but not too much to say it's sour. Even my picky kids love it! It is a perfect tea break snack and goes beautifully with a hot cup of coffee. I made some minor adjustments and still it turned out great. So I think this cake would be great for beginners or when you don't want to waste too much effort on satisfying a cake craving. Next time I will tweak it to change the flavour!


Ingredients

vegetable oil and flour for dusting

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
3/4 cup full fat yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Coat a standard bundt cake pan with vegetable oil. Dust with flour; tap out excess. 
  2. Whisk all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. 
  3. Using your fingers or a spoon, rub sugar with finely grated orange zest in a large bowl until sugar is moist. Add yogurt, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract; whisk to blend. 
  4. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients by three separate parts until just incorporated. 
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50-55 minutes. 
  6. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack; let cool completely.
*Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...