Monday 5 January 2015

Long Bean Omelette 豆角煎蛋


When I was little I was a vege hater. I hate the fresh vegetable smell and it's crunchy texture. The only way to make me eat vegetable was if they were cooked down till it soft and mushy. So you can imagine my distaste for this dish. Beans omelette! Eww!

Thankfully I grew out of that phase and now I love most vegetables. And I grew to really like this dish! The firm texture of the beans is a nice contrast to the fluffy omelette. And I love it that it's so good for you! If you aren't familiar with long beans, this is what it looks like.


My kids eat them, (thank goodness) but they prefer the beans to be a little softer. So I cooked the beans a little before adding the eggs. Doing that also cuts down the raw vegetable "smell" of the beans. So it's more tasty.

If you want to add more vegetables to your diet but not a big fan of it, this dish is a good place to start!

2 eggs
2-3 string beans
1/2 tsp sugar
a pinch of salt
1 tsp chicken powder *
a few tablespoon of water
  1. Beat the eggs till they are fluffy. 
  2. Trim both ends off the beans and cut into small cubes. 
  3. With a little oil, fry the beans in sugar, salt and chicken powder. Add in the water, cover and let it cook till it dries off. 
  4. Spread out the beans and pour in the eggs slowly. 
  5. Flip the eggs over and cook till slightly golden brown. 
  6. Serve with rice.


*you can replace chicken powder and water with a little chicken stock. Or you can use soya sauce with a little water.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...