Wednesday 27 May 2015

White Loaf Bread

 photo 20150527_074354_zpsn5fkldim.jpg


In recent years I'm starting to lose faith in cook books. I'd rather believe in the recipes from the internet, especially those with reviews. Many reviews means that it is a tried and tested recipe by actual people out there. So for my 2nd attempt for my bread machine I looked to the internet and found this recipe. This recipe is rather interesting as it defies conventional method of making bread using a bread machine. Instead of putting the yeast on top of the flour, away from the liquid, you mix the yeast with the liquids 1st, just like how you make bread by hand.

Flavour wise, I like this better than my last loaf. It uses less yeast, so the yeasty smell was less apparent. Hubby commented that it was more dense than the last one, but I don't feel it. But we both love the crust on this one. I think it will taste even better with some wholemeal flour added to it.

I wanted the bread to be ready for breakfast, but I wasn't sure if I can set the timing for this recipe due to it's unconventional method. Is it OK to let the yeast and liquid ferment for a few hours? I don't know. So I set the bread machine on just before I go to bed, and woke up at around 4am to take the bread out of the machine when it was done. By morning we woke up to the wonderful smell of freshly baked bread!

I forgot to take a picture of the whole loaf but it does look a little darker than the last loaf. I was a little too busy making tuna sandwiches for the kiddo's breakfast! I only remember after I made the sandwiches...

 photo 20150527_074411_zpsuam8rusz.jpg

I think I need to buy a better serrated knife. Mine's too short and not sharp enough.. Enough talk. Here is the recipe.

1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 tablespoons white sugar
7 grams instant yeast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
  1. Place the water, sugar and yeast in the pan of the bread machine. Let the yeast dissolve and foam for 10 minutes. 
  2. Add the oil, flour and salt to the yeast. 
  3. Select Basic or White Bread setting, and press Start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...