Wednesday 3 June 2015

Honey Oat Bread (Bread Machine)

I'm obsessed.

I'm always thinking of ways to sneak in fiber into my children's diet. Always have vegetables in every meal and healthy choices for snacks! I know, I'm so boring. Oats are SOOO nutritious, I wish my kids would love them. But even with added chocolate, my elder girl wouldn't touch a bowl of oatmeal with a 10 foot pole. I have to beg, nag and even threaten her in order for her to take a few bites. So let's get creative! This recipe would be a perfect way to sneak in some oats into the kid's breakfast without them even knowing! Heehee..

 photo honeyoat1_zpslgadvfwp.jpg


I don't know why there's a giant crack on my bread. Rustic looking? :P

There were raving reviews for this recipe online, and yes, the bread does turn out quite delicious. But do take note that Western style bread is more dense with a nice crust. So don't expect the bread to turn out soft and fluffy. It's great for making sandwiches as it holds it's shape pretty well. I like it plain or toasted with butter as the honey and oats give it alot of flavour.

 photo honeyoat2_zpslhtcqoc8.jpg


I followed the previous method of dissolving the yeast in the water 1st before adding the flour. It's unconventional, but I feel like it makes the yeast more effective.

1 cup water
1⁄4 cup honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups white bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
1⁄2 cup oatmeal (I use instant oatmeal)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

  1. Place the water, honey and yeast in the pan of the bread machine. Let the yeast dissolve and foam for 10 minutes.
  2. Add the oil, flour, oatmeal and salt to the yeast mixture.
  3. Select Basic or White Bread setting, and press Start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...