Tuesday 30 June 2015

Overnight Yeasted Waffles

I think I mentioned it before, but I'm gonna say it again just emphasize my point.

I LOVE WAFFLES.

My favourite is from Geláre, and I love how it's crispy on the outside and yet soft and fluffy on the inside. Yeasted waffle like these need time to proof, and I don't think I can make the effort to wake up early just to make breakfast, so I've never made these until today.

 photo IMG_5195_zpsequfj9nu.jpg

For this recipe, you just need to do the work the night before you sleep. The next day, just take it out of the fridge for a hour or so. (go wash up and get the kids out of bed) By then the batter would be ready for you! My hubby wakes up an hour earlier than me, so I asked him to take the batter out.

The original recipe comes from here. I halved it, because there isn't that many people eating. Besides, this type of waffles is best eaten fresh! Also, the recipe ask us to leave the batter on the countertop overnight?? And add in the egg the next day. I'm afraid that our warm tropical weather would spoil the ingredients, so I add everything in a large pot and put the whole pot into the fridge. Works anyway!

 photo OwafflesYTcover_zpsvwjvjr2z.jpg


Overnight Yeasted Waffles

Makes about 6-7 standard waffle squares
Note: Use a large mixing bowl to make this recipe as the batter will double in size as it rises.

1/4 cup warm water
1/2 tablespoon active-dry yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 large egg
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

  1. Combine the yeast and the water and let stand for a few minutes. Stir to make sure the yeast dissolves into the water. 
  2. Mix together all the dry ingredients using a whisk in a large mixing bowl. 
  3. Add in the warm milk, the yeast mixture, the melted butter, the egg and the vanilla. Mix well into a smooth batter. 
  4. Cover up with either clingfilm or a lid and let it proof in room temperature for 1 hour. 
  5. After an hour place the whole bowl into the fridge to proof overnight.
  6. The next morning, place the bowl on the kitchen counter top at room temperature for at least an hour. 
  7. Make the waffles according to your waffle maker's instructions, cooking until the waffles are golden-brown. Cooking time will vary with your waffle maker, but it is typically 4 to 6 minutes.



Waffles are best if served immediately, but re-heat well in the toaster. Leftovers can be kept refrigerated for up to a week. Leftover waffles can also be frozen for up to 3 months and toasted straight out of the freezer.

No time? Try my Quick and Easy Waffles instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tom Yam Braised Chicken

Before we had our Korean craze, we were so in love with Tom Yum. Tom Yum soup, Tom Yum steamboat, Tom Yum fried rice, etc. I looove Tom Yum...